Featured beef cut:
*** Marrow bones ****
Marrow bones are the femur, shank, or tibia of the cow. They have been trimmed of meat and split down the middle (also often available as rounds split laterally instead of horizontally). Bone marrow is found inside the bone, and responsible for making the stem cells that differentiate into red and white blood cells. It’s very high in fat, but also contains high levels of vitamins and minerals and beneficial compounds such as collagen and glycine, which are beneficial for joint and gut health.
Most importantly, it’s delicious.
It’s very, very easy to turn bone marrow into a decadent starter or a savory meal. You simply roast the bone marrow in the oven and it turns in to a delicious treat.
Not sure where to get marrow bones? Check your local farmers market, farmers market store, or find a beef producer in your area. We sell packs of split marrow bones from our farm in Piedmont, Oklahoma.
- Marrow bones (this is for split marrow bones, they can also be purchased in rounds and are prepared in the same way).
- Salt and pepper
- Your favorite type of bread, lightly toasted. French, ciabatta, sourdough, etc.
- Stoneground mustard
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Place bone marrow on a cookie sheet and roast for approximately 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with finishing salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
How to eat:
- Scoop marrow out of the bone and spread over toasted bread. Spreading stone ground mustard on the bread as well is a really great accompaniment.
- Eat alone as an appetizer, or pair with a simple side salad for a complete meal.
- You can save the leftover bones in the freezer to make bone broth.
- Try whipped bone marrow:
- Scoop the marrow out of the bones and put in an airtight container and leave in the fridge until set but not solid.
- Place in a food processor or use a hand mixer and whip until smooth.
- You can eat this whipped spread on bread, or use to cook savory dishes like you would butter.
- Try melting a bit of whipped bone marrow over your next steak for extra flavor and richness.